Electronic Universal Testing Machines - Model : UTES (SERVO)
• Motorised Control Valve.
• Load accuracy as high + 1%.
• Straining at variable speeds to suit a wide range of materials.
• Printer & PC graphs enable study the behavior of the material.
• Motor driven threaded columns for quick effortless adjustment of middle crosshead to facilitate rapid fixing of test specimen.
• Simplicity in reading because of digital readouts.
• Wide range of standard and special accessories.
• Easy change from plain to threaded and screwed specimens.
• Large effective clearance between columns enable testing of standard specimens as well structures.
• Simple controls for ease of operation.
• Robust straining frame of an extremely rigid construction.
• Fully enclosed and protected pressure transducer.
• RS 232 serial port for PC control of m/c.
Electronic Universal Testing Machine is designed for testing metals and other materials under tension, compression bending, transverse and shear loads. Hardness test on metals can also conducted.
Principal of Operation :
Here UTM Right Control Valve is Servo Controlled in close loop mode as per mode selection.
Following control modes available :
1) Standard Manual Control
2) Potentiometric Control
3) Load Rate Control
4) Elongation Rate Control
5) Load Hold Mode
6) Strain Rate Control
Also Auto Start, Potentiometric start & Initial Valve open start options are available for test to take care of slippage & different specimen types.
Load is applied by hydrostatically lubricated ram. Main cylinder pressure is transmitted to the pressure transducer housed in the control panel. The transducer gives the signal to the electronic display unit, corresponding to the load exerted by the main ram. Simulteniously the digital encoder fitted on the straining unit gives the mechanical displacement.
Machine consists of : Straining Unit :
This consists of a cylinder motor with chain and sprocket drive and a table coupled with the ram of the hydraulic cylinder, mounted on to a robust base. The cylinder and the ram are individually lapped to eliminate friction. The upper cross-head is rigidly fixed to the table by two strenthened columns.
The lower cross - head is connected to two screwed columns which are driven by a motor. Axial loading of the ram is ensured by relieving the cylinder and ram of any possible side loading by the provision of ball seating.
An displacement scale with a minimum graduation of 1mm, is provided to measure the deformation of the specimen.
Tension test is conducted by gripping the test specimen between the upper and lower cross-heads.
Compression, transverse , bending, shear & hardness tests are conducted between the lower cross-head and the table.
The lower cross-head can be raised or lowered rapidly by operating the screwed columns, thus facilitating ease of fixing of the test specimen.
Control Panel :
The control Panel consists of a power pack complete with drive motor and an oil tank, control valves and electronic display unit.
Power Pack :
The power pack generates the maximum pressure of 200 kgf/cm2. The hydraulic pump provides continuously non-pulsating oil flow. Hence the load application is very smooth.
Hydraulic Controls :
Hand operated Release Valve & motorised control valve are used to control the flow to and from the hydraulic cylinder. The regulation of the oil flow is infinitely variable. Incorporated in the hydraulic system is a regulating valve, which maintains a practically constant rate of piston movement. Control by this valve allows extensometer reading to be taken.
Electronic Control Unit : (FIE- SERVO)
- In Electronic panel 8085 microprocessor is used for basic UTM operation & an 8 bit dedicated
microcontroller is used for close loop & Servo Control.
- Panel is having parallel printer port, RS 232 C serial port for PC interface.
- 2 lines x 8 digits 7 segment display & membrane keyboard for data entry.
- 20 data sets and 50 results storage.
Windows based basic software for Servo Control is in standard scope of supply.
• Real Time graph, User friendly software.
• Extensive graphics on screen for curve plotting, magnification and zooming.
• Software features include Graph comparison, point tracing facility. Different units selection
for load & displacement.
• Statistical evaluation with water fall dig., Mean deviation, frequency distribution, Skew
dig., Histogram. Also calculates max. value, min.value, Mean Value, Variance, Standard Deviation. (Other statistical parameters on request). Selectable batch &
• Evaluation of wide range of user selectable parameters such as %
elongation, % reduction
in area, young's modulus, yield stress, proof stress etc.
• Optional Software packages for Extensometer, Shear Bend, Torsion, Rubber, Textile
Accuracy and Calibration :
Electronic Universal Testing Machines are closely controlled for sensitivity, accuracy and calibartion during every stage of manufacture. Every machine is then calibrated over each of its measuring ranges in accordance with the procedure laid down in British standards. 1610 : Part1 : 1992 and IS : 1828 : Part1 : 1991.
Electronic Universal Testing Machine comply with Grade "A" of BS : 1610 : Part1 : 1992 and class 1 of IS-1828 - Part - 1:1991. An accuracy of +1% is guaranted from 2% to 100% of the capacity of the machine.
Below 20% of the selected range, the maximum permissible error is 0.2% of the full load reading.
Load Resolution (20,000 counts full scale)
Load Range with Accuracy of measurement ± 1.0%
4 to 200
8 to 400
12 to 600
20 to 1000
Resolution of piston movement (Displacement)
Clearance for tensile at fully descended working piston.
Clearance for compression test at fully descended working piston.
Clearance between columns.
Straining / piston speed (at no load)
L x W x H ( approx. )
For Tension Test
• Clamping jaws for round specimens of Diameters.
• Clamping jaws for flat specimens of thickness.
0 - 10
10 - 20
0 - 10
10 - 20
0 - 15
15 - 30
0 - 15
15 - 30
0 - 22
22 - 44
44 - 65
For Compression Test
Pair of compression plates of dia.
For Transverse Test
Table with adjustable rollers width of rollers.
Diameter of Rollers
Maximum clearance between supports
Radius of punch tops.
Special Accessories & options :
• Electronic Extensometer
• Brinell Test Attachment
• Shear Test Attachment
• Software Packages
• Wide range accessories offered on request at additional cost.
• Due to constant R & D specifications & features are subjest to change without notice.
• The dimensions given above are approximate.
Attachment for Tension Test for shouldered and threaded specimens